[Healeys] Timing chain question

Rawdawgs rawdawgs at aol.com
Fri May 4 09:23:14 MDT 2018

LIke Rusty I bought a BN4L back in the 70s and doing a restoration as work/kids/money allow. Now that I am retired I have been making some progress. I had some stuck valves and pulled the head and one thing lead to another and I basically did an engine rebuild. Got it back, put the head on it and got it started. It would run at about 2000 rpm pretty well, but if I let the RPMs drop it would die. Ran it for about 20 minutes or so. We ended up shutting down for the winter and are going to get started on in again. We assumed we got some trash in the carbs and that was causing my issue, but my mechanic brought up a question about the possibility that the timing chain being off a link or two. My machine shop guy did all that and when I got it, the cover was on it and I did not open it up and check it.  Now that he mentioned it, I noticed that when he got the timing set the distributor was noticeably more clockwise than I remember,(and see in other's pcitures. I know the Longbridge engine is not an interference engine, but is there anyway the timing chain can be off a link or two  and the engine still run? Thanks, Scott.