[Healeys] Chassis seams

John Spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 5 20:02:04 MST 2018

It's a seam weld.

From: Healeys [mailto:healeys-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of
simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2018 1:38 PM
To: 'Healey List' <healeys at autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Chassis seams

Another question tonight..

Some time soonish I'm having a plate welded to the front cross-member of my
MkII's chassis. (For jacking). I grovel under the car, as best I can, and I
wonder about the seam running down the centre of the chassis members...they
bulge(?) downward/outwards. And that, presumably, will hinder getting the
plate on nice and flat.

Now, is that seam a hollow bulge which, if ground off flush, would cause the
cross-member to split? Or, is the seam a weld? ie the chassis is two
U-sections welded together, top and bottom..So, a bit of judicious grinding
wouldn't hurt.

If you see what I mean.?

Simon