[Healeys] Break in oil

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Mar 5 02:43:37 MST 2018

There is no clear answer to that question. If the engine has been
assembled using graphite/molybdenum grease on the bearings and camshaft,
rockers etc. no pre-lube is necessary.
If the original tolerances and finishes are used, the running in method
given by the manufacturer can be used with an oil and filter change at
300mls or so. If modern tolerances and finishes are used hardly any
running in is needed although it does not hurt to take it easy the first
few thousands of miles. Running in oil can be used but any good (not
recycled) 20W50 oil with a max SG spec. is OK. If the spec is higher you
may add a running in dope or oil stabiliser like Lucas or STP or some
extra ZDDP containing dope but do not overdo the latter An early oil
change is not needed but cannot hurt.
Of course there is a whole area in between.

To be safe:
Squirt some engine oil on top of the pistons. Spin the engine for the
first time with the plugs out, coil and fuel pump disconnected until you
have oil pressure, only then fit the plugs and connect the coil and fuel
pump again and start up the engine. It will smoke like hell for a few
minutes. Let it run stationary for a few minutes an check the oil
pressure. For longevity run the engine for long stretches (50mls+) at no
more than 2000-2500rpm and with a feather light foot for the first few
hundred miles and than increase load and speed gradually up to say
5000mls, always being certain that the engine is hot when putting some
load on the engine. Change oil at 500mls and than yearly assuming you
will not do more than 5000mls a year. Use proper 50/50 coolant,
absolutely not water only!!!
Fit the correct sleeved thermostat (important to get even and proper
cooling) and check oil pressure and coolant temperature regularly.

Kees Oudesluijs