[Healeys] Break in oil

David Masucci drmasucci at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 15:48:36 MST 2018

Hi all,

Well I finally have my BJ8 engine almost ready to go back in the chassis. This rebuild includes minor mods including a Denis Welch DSW-8 cam and bucket followers (with pockets in the block) and high capacity oil pump. This cam is drilled to provide oil to each lobe. The engine was also balanced. Once broken in I plan to run 20W-50 Valvoline racing full synthetic with ZDDP, which I’ve run in my XJ6 since 2012 or so.

Based on what’ve I’ve read, I should start and run the engine at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes or so. My question is what should I use for break in? There are so many types. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks as always.

Dave
64 BJ8
72 XJ6