[Healeys] Shop that can Mount tires on wire wheels

Ed O'Neal Ed at wadsworthoneal.com
Tue Jun 12 07:07:05 MDT 2018

Gents,

I have studied the tire “balance” issue in some depth.  Here’s the deal.  The new car manufacturers specify the maximum acceptable tire runout and wheel runout.  The tire and wheel manufacturers, of course, do not produce round tires and wheels.  So the production deviations are represented by the typical bell curve.  The new car guys obviously get the cream of the crop at the center of the bell curve.  The aftermarket gets the rest of poorer quality.  Incidentally, the Vredestein tires are made in Holland and they do not cell to the new car market.  So your odds may be a little better for getting better tires.

The second issue is the match-mounting situation.  This is the process of locating the high spot on the tire with the low spot of the wheel.  New car manufacturers require their wheel and tire suppliers to mark the high spot on the tire with a dot of paint and the wheel low spot with a stick-on dot.  This saves the car manufacturers a lot of time, because they simply align the two marks to get a perfect match-mounting.  Then the balancing can be done with the least amount of weight.  The process of marking the tire this way requires significant time and a $500,000 machine to do it.  Therefore the aftermarket tires do not get this treatment.  There are procedures to accomplish this without having pre-marked tires.  Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswttgUKstk
This procedure adds significant time and cost to mounting new tires – I estimate  about $40 plus the normal $20 for normal mount and balance.  The other way is the mount the tire, shave the assembly round then balance the assembly. Which may cost you 1,500 miles of rubber.  The 165/HR/15 Vredestein tires only cost $119, so losing 1,500 miles is cheaper than the additional $30 to match-mount.  This is why Allen Hendrix does his this way.