[Healeys] FW: Wot's this?

simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 02:08:26 MST 2018

Since we’re in the mood for strange items…….

I was looking for something just now preparatory to starting on the wheel
bearings. Ferreting through a drawer full of “useful tools”, some of
which I’d made and likely only used once, I came upon this thing.

The top piece, the one with two holes, seems to have two alternate sizes.
One is marked 1⅛th 28.5mm. The other, which is about 2mm wider, has no
markings. Both of these two are dished on the inside.

The bottom piece has a flat for a spanner, is dished on the inside and is
threaded so the cap screw can tighten it into the bigger section. So the
two dished sections come together in opposition.

I’m sure it was very useful once, but I haven’t a clue what for or when.
It looks sort of like something one might find on a lathe, but I’ve never
owned a lathe so….?

Any ideas? Will the Science Museum come aknocking on my door?

Thanks,

Simon