[Healeys] 6 volt batteries

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 13:18:39 MST 2018

I have a couple of theories, worth exactly what you paid for them:

1) It's a well-known 'secret' that, in addition to the
order-of-magnitude lower wages, one of the reasons that companies like
to shift manufacturing overseas is the generally lower standards of
environmental protections.  Spill some acid on the floor in a US plant,
it probably gets some absorbent material thrown on it, then scooped up
and put in a container for proper disposal at a hazmat site (yeah, I
know it doesn't always happen that way).  Spill some in, say, a Chinese
or Mexican plant it gets squeegeed or rinsed off the floor into a drain
that goes to the local sewer or, more likely, to the nearest river.
Quality isn't just a matter of assembling things, but maintaining an
efficient, clean all-around work environment; i.e. the 'who gives a
crap' attitude can become pervasive.  I bet we all check out the
condition of any shop we take any of our cars to for maintenance or
repair, for just that reason.

2) Workers getting paid a sustenance wage simply aren't going to feel
any pride in what they're making, compared to a worker getting an honest
wage, some benefits and at least a little respect; i.e. no 'skin in the
game.'

3) Besides the machines and processes--fairly easy to transplant--there
is often a great deal of 'institutional knowledge' involved in factory
assembly processes.  I read a rather long article about the workers in
one of the Midwestern plants that are being exported.  Although it was
an automated plant, one woman had run a particular machine for many
years and was intimately familiar with its quirks and idiosyncrasies.
Even though she trained the Mexican crew that was taking her and her
comrades' jobs they couldn't get the machine to perform as well as when
she ran it.  No amount of oversight from a few gringos cracking the whip
was going to replicate the years of experience she had working that machine.

I think the 'recycling of lead' might theory might have some relevance;
it's possible some contaminants can't be removed in a recycling
process.  I've noticed that the high-priced AGM batteries all advertise
that they use 'pure' lead.  Recycling a toxic substance like lead is a
good thing, but it may have a downside.

Bob