[Healeys] 6 volt batteries

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 09:54:27 MST 2018

On another note, the guy who has rebuilt a couple starters and a
generator for me has this to say:

"I was a Interstate Distributor for 25 years, they were an excellent
quality battery. These batteries are manufactured for Interstate by
Johnson Control who was manufacturing the batteries here in California,
however as all Companies want to make more profit about 5 years ago they
shut down operations in California and started making the batteries in
Mexico, well you can see what that will do, the quality started to drop
down tremendously to a point were they have high battery failure we had
to drop selling Interstate Batteries. Most mechanic will not install
these batteries in their customers vehicle's. Now you can buy Interstate
Batteries at Costco, even Triple AAA sells them, just junk batteries.
There is a battery which we are currently selling called Deka,this
battery is manufactured in the USA and they have an excellent record, we
have been selling them for a while and have not had any problems."

I've had bad experiences with Interstate--OEM battery for my
Mustang--and Motorcraft (also Hecho en Mexico but not sure if by Johnson
Controls).  He thinks JC might still make batteries in the US, but only
the eastern states get them.  He also theorizes that recycling lead may
cause problems.  I have a Deka in my Mustang and so far, so good.

FWIW, my 'source' is Mexican.

Bob