[Healeys] Mating OD to gearbox

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 14:20:31 MST 2018

Hi Bob,
on by BN2 Sideshifter and OD rebuild, I used a dummy mainshaft I bought from a lister to align the splines and then lowered the gearbox in the OD oriented vertically.  The OD was mounted securely in a bench vise. It still needed a few tries but doing this vertically avoided all those small parts to fall out of alignment, so you could give this a try.
I then tested the box on the bench connecting an 7" angle grinder to the input mainshaft with a strong rubber hose and a couple hose clamps.  I know this sounds rudimentary but this setup was instrumental in testing the OD, the operating valve ball was not seating properly and operating irregularly, a sacrificial ball and a good knock with a ball peen hammer and steel punch solved this issue.
If you're interested I can go find the shaft, my intention was to put it on (fe)ebay when the car is ready, which should be soon.
Bert