[Healeys] Help - steering still binds no matter how loose adjustment

John Vrugtman javrugtman at htcnet.org
Mon Apr 30 06:30:47 MDT 2018

I used the same DW parts to rebuild my 64 box a few years ago and
initially had the same problem.  Took the box out again and with it on
the bench found that the outer tube was slightly bent causing the worm
shaft to bind at one point in each revolution.  The tube seemed to not
be very well fixed to the box so that the mounting points can pressure
the tube to be off center with respect to the worm shaft. So on the
bench it worked fine after making sure it was centered, but problem
returned after mounting.  I was able to adjust the mounts enough for the
problem to go away.  Good luck.
John
64/66 BJ8s