[Healeys] o/d relay

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Thu Apr 26 19:43:36 MDT 2018

If it is an electrical problem the OD should disengage anytime the ignition switch is turned off or the solenoid is disconnected.

About the only mechanical thing that can hold the OD engaged is the cone clutch sticking to the brake ring. That is the problem cleared by striking the brake ring with a hammer. I'm not sure what all of the causes for the defect might be, but improper oil or heavily worn clutch and brake ring surfaces or weak return springs are a few.

On reflection I suppose a sticking actuator valve might cause the problem although it would seem the pressure would bleed off when the car was not running.

Bill Lawrence

BN1 #554