[Healeys] Reading Dipstick

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 10:06:28 MDT 2018

OK, I may be the only guy who's never thought of this, but I 'solved' a
minor bugaboo (for me) recently.  When I put fresh oil, esp. synthetic,
in the engine or gearbox I have a hard time reading the dipstick to
check the level (first photo; in bright sun this can be difficult to
see, the oil actually showed-up better in the photo).  This can be an
issue when, for instance, I recently overfilled my gearbox/OD and got a
lot of leaking past the front seal.  I usually lay the dipstick on a rag
or paper towel to prevent dripping, and it occurred to me how I could
get a good reading:

1) dip the stick, and lay it on a clean paper towel, or similar, with
the top of the level ticks or lettering at the edge of the paper (second
photo)

2) move the dipstick slightly to the side, keeping your reference at the
edge of the towel (third photo)

3) now, you can see the level as the 'oil stain' on the paper towel

FWIW.

Bob