[Healeys] No start condition

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 09:07:09 MDT 2018

Glad you solved your problem, but the solution to the problem doesn't
fit the description.  You wrote that the car wouldn't turn over, fuel
pump wouldn't tick, etc. without a jump from the battery to the
solenoid.   The white/black wire does one thing, and one thing only
(assuming it's wired per the factory diagram): it grounds the primary
circuit to the coil, so that the engine will not receive any spark at
the plugs.  If this circuit is permanently shorted to chassis ground,
the engine will--well, it should--turn over, fuel pump should tick,
etc., but it will not fire (assuming the other function of the switch
works).   The cutoff switch does two things when in the 'ON' position:
it closes the circuit from the battery to the chassis--hence making all
things electrical (that are wired through the switch)--work, and it
opens the circuit that grounds the coil so the coil can generate spark.

This sounds to me like the switch wasn't closing the circuit from
battery to ground, which WOULD explain the symptoms you described.  I'm
guessing--although I can't think of exactly how--your messing with the
switch somehow--and probably, temporarily--'solved' the problem.

 From now on, when anyone asks what's wrong with their car--leaks oil,
pulls left on braking, won't go into reverse, etc.--I'm just gonna
answer "It's the white/black wire to the cutoff switch!"  ;)

Bob