[Healeys] No start

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Mon Apr 23 17:17:50 MDT 2018

Have you installed an ammeter?

________________________________
From: Healeys <healeys-bounces at autox.team.net> on behalf of jim <ab7vf at yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 4:20:53 PM
To: healeys; Fred Wescoe
Subject: Re: [Healeys] No start

On Sunday, April 22, 2018, 5:56:48 PM PDT, Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe at gmail.com> wrote:

I have a sudden and confusing problem.

The car is a 66 BJ8 and will not start. It will not crank, there isn't an ignition light and the fuel pump does not run.  Nothing works electrically.  No blown fuses.

I have an alternator and negative ground on the car.  The car has started properly for the couple of years I have owned it (previously 35 years with a BJ7).  The battery is fully charged and shows 12.65 volts at the battery terminals.  Voltage at the starter solenoid to ground is 12.57.

When I jumper the positive terminal of the battery to the battery connection on the starter solenoid the car will start.  The voltage at the starter solenoid (with the car running and jumper removed) is 14.65 and the same at the battery terminals and the car continues to run properly.  So, the alternator is charging the battery, all electrical items work and all is fine at this point.

When I turn the car off, the same issue repeats and there is a no start, no ignition light or fuel pump condition, nothing working electrically.

What am I missing here and what do I check next?

Fred

66 BJ8

some 'ascii art'     {battery}_____{solenoid}____{starter}____{ground}
                                               \
                                                 \____{key switch}_____{fuel pump}____{ground}                                                                            \
                                                                            \___{solenoid operate winding}_____{ground}

with key off, voltage at battery and solenoid same ...No current draw on circuit ..
measure voltage at solenoid terminal...leave voltmeter connected to solenoid terminal ...turn on key (on only, not start)
note voltage at solenoid terminal...if there is high resistance between battery terminal and solenoid terminal, the voltmeter should decrease in voltage ..

Jim