[Healeys] Fender Bead Question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Sep 28 16:34:35 MDT 2017

Excellent question!  Next.

JK.  I've had a couple of these sitting on the bench for years--I did a
dogleg transplant years ago with the inferior ones that don't have the
beading--and there's usually something more urgent to attend to.  But,
I've given it thought, and can see two ways to do it:

1) take your measurements, cut the beading off square, position the
dogleg, weld fill the gap and sand/grind/fill the joint as smooth as
possible, or

2) leave about an inch of the bead, 'peel' back the bead on the wing,
pull out an inch and cut it off.  Then, fit the patch panel, wrap the
old metal around the 1" of bead, and somehow hammer it all back together

Obviously, #2 is at going to be the strongest, though there shouldn't
much stress here, but it could be a real trick to do it cleanly without
making a mess of everything.  I've not had any cracking or other issues
with my first repair with the inferior patch panels.

What do the pro panel beaters say?  I'll bet BCS has done a few of these ;)

Bob