[Healeys] Control boxes

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 10:43:37 MDT 2017

Hi,

I don't suppose you remember the generator saga to do with my nephew's BJ8,
the one in Paris.....

Well, we got everything working with a rebuilt genny and a new control box.
That was time ago and we've had no charging issues since.

When he bought the car, it came with a very generous "box of bits"* amongst
which were 2 apparently new control boxes. The one in the car "looked" new
but it was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. So that's gone in the
bin. All that's left are two Indian control boxes, one in the car plus one
in its box.

PLUS, one "NOS" - they said - Lucas control box which looks pretty dodgy to
me. That came off French eBay.

AND, one that I bought off British eBay...NOS. It says "Made in England" but
not Lucas. It is VERY similar to the Lucas version. Same size, same
mountings, same weight even. Still boxed.

Anyhow, is there any way of bench testing these wretched things?

I'm tempted to suggest ditching the spare Indian control box and carrying my
"Made in England" version as a spare.

If these things are reliable as the water pumps from India...well, it's just
trouble in store???

A bench test anyone??

Thanks,

Simon

*The "box of bits".....boxes of front suspension parts, king pins, oil
cooler.....masses of stuff, all new. Plus a load of various additives which
had to be thrown away as not accepted by the shipping company.