[Healeys] carbs

Mike S phoenix722 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 10 20:56:45 MDT 2017

Thanks to all regarding my hard-starting BJ8.  I spent awhile going over
everything.  Points ok, compression ok, plugs ok.  I pulled the choke
cable clear out and found a broken strand, so cut that off and
readjusted the whole choke mechanism from scratch.  Seems better now,
although still could improve.  Fun to reassemble, but I found the right
words.

Mike

If I may lean on the Group's Wisdom (capitalized, as it is The wisdom).
My BJ8 runs fine, but is very hard starting.  The carbs are adjusted per
the instructions, as is the choke.  Not easy to do the choke, but done.
When cold, the choke is needed for starting, and in fact, almost won't
run without it, but once it's warm, choke not needed.

Battery is charged, electrical connections all tight.  In fact, the
starter spins rapidly.

I have found that if I depress the float on one of the carbs for a
couple of fuel pump clicks (in other words, priming it), it starts right
up and idles and runs fine.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Mike

---