[Healeys] BJ8 Temps

ATIGHTPROD at aol.com ATIGHTPROD at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 12:49:45 MDT 2017

I have a BN1, so things are a bit different, but temps under the bonnet get
 way up there and my front float bowl is directly over my exhaust without a
heat  shield. In the past, my car would vapor lock like crazy, the fuel in
the front  float bowl boiling away. I was a member of the SoCal Healey club
then and a few  of us were having the same problem. Nothing seemed to work.
And then George  McHarris came up with the solution. And I followed suit and
haven't had the  problem since.
    What we did was mount a marine bilge fan along  side the upper end of
our radiators. Being it's a DC motor, just wire it so the  air flows in the
correct direction and add some 4" flex to both ends. One end  goes to right
behind your grill to suck in the cooler air and the other end  off the fan
goes to right in front of your carbs. Mine is aimed directly at the  front
float bowl. Did this almost ten years ago now and have had zero problems  since
with vapor lock. I can sit in traffic and get to 212 and the car still
idles just fine.
    I put the fan in place with zip ties, so didn't  have to drill any
holes and everything can come out in a matter of minutes if  necessary. Got the
fan on eBay under thirty dollars and since it was white, I  painted it with
flat black paint. Works like a charm and don't see any reason  why this
couldn't be done in a BJ8 engine bay with some minor tweaking of  positions of
the fan.

First temporary  installation, wired in place. Blows air right on front
float  bowl.

Switch on shelf to  turn on and off when needed.

In a message dated 9/4/2017 10:09:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,