[Healeys] carbs

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Sep 2 17:18:04 MDT 2017

re: "... my BJ8 carble on my BJ7 are hard to pull to cold start level.
Is it the springs, a need to lubricate the cables?"

All of the above.  Plus, if the mechanical linkage that lowers the
diaphragm jets are crudded-up, burred, etc. they will bind as well.
I've always assumed the mechanism--a cam in a 'shoe,'--that opens the
throttles was kinda funky, if the 'shoe' is pinched a little it will
resist movement.

It helps a little if you push the gas pedal to the floor before you pull
on the choke; takes the throttle springs out of the effort, at least.
Also, someone may have fitted stronger springs to alleviate the stuck
'choke' problem.

Bob