[Healeys] Healey MK.IV ADO51 ADO52 + MGC?

HealeyRick healeyrik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 18:38:10 MDT 2017

Very interesting.  Bob is right, ADO 51 and ADO 52 were the
badge-engineered MG/Austin-Healey products that were to replace the
Austin-Healey BJ8.  ADO 51 was to be the Healey variant until DMH put the
kibosh on it.  A picture is attached.  It was supposed to be the Mk IV,
although after ADO 51 was dumped, the Rolls-Healey became known as the Mk
IV.  ADO 52 went on to being the MG-C, which evidenced DMH's foresight
in canning it as the next Healey.

I'm surprised BMC got as far along with the project to start producing
replacement gasket sets under the ADO 51 numbering.

I've written an article on the end of big Healey production that goes into
greater depth on why the car ended production when it did, and it wasn't US
safety regs as most of us have always thought.  You'll have to wait until
the Nov. issue of Healey Marque to read it, though.

Rick Neville