[Healeys] DMV No Go

Robert F. Begani RFBegani at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 28 14:43:33 MDT 2017

Reminds me to the same problem trying to register a sailboat in Florida which was bought at auction in Florida.  The marina did not do the sale of the boat in accordance with Florida Law, so began our 1-2 year back and forth with the DMV.  At first the marina basically said it was our problem.  I got involved and mentioned that the Sherriff and the country law enforcement authorities might consider a fraud action and the $5,000 sale price is a major felony and could mean jail time.  So we began together to try and obtain clear title from KY.  Once the marina sent the KY owner, who sold the boat 5 years ago, the notice of auction because of storage fees owed as the 2 subsequent owners never register the boat, we thought we had proper documents for a title and registration.  Then the lady at the DMV claimed she would not proceed because the VIN was not 13 digits.  I explained the boat was built in Canada.  She argued it makes no difference, KY or some previous state should have made the conversion.  After spending quality time on Boat Blogs, I found how to convert the Hull # to 13 digits. Still she said NO!  So I went over to another DMV and explained the situation and a more reasonable lady got the computer to work up a title without going back to the owner in KY.   By the way, my sailing Buddy continued to sail the boat for 3 years without a title and registration because it was originally Federally Documented so it could travel outside the USA.  Terribly illegal, but, as long as you do not get stopped, “only the shadow knows”.

These lists on the internet are great sources of information.

Bob Begani