[Healeys] Original BJ8

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 11:33:34 MDT 2017

There's a lot of variables to consider (rust/no rust, color,
maintenance, condition of tires/hood, tools or other 'extras,'
non/original paint and interior, sale season, ...):

If the car sat in a garage--out of the FL rain and sun--but wasn't
driven regularly, your friend could expect about $50K give-or-take.  If
the car was driven at least several times a year, oil changed, rubber
and other perishable parts replaced, etc. I think he could get $60K or
more*.

For comparison, here's a nice BJ8--Webers notwithstanding--with a
certain cachet and 'provenance' that recently sold at B-J:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1965-AUSTIN-HEALEY-3000-MARK-III-BJ8-CONVERTIBLE-210208

Auction prices aren't necessarily indicative of reality, and auction
prices appear to me to have dropped across-the-board in the last few
years but, generally they're higher than private party sales.  I think
the Webers might have actually reduced the value of this car.  Note I
believe both buyers AND sellers have to pony up 10% at B-J, so the
actual cost to the buyer was around $86K, and the seller went home with
less than $71K.

* all opinions worth what you paid for them ;)

Bob