[Healeys] Crankshaft oil restrictors

Harold Manifold manifold at telus.net
Thu Oct 5 21:23:17 MDT 2017

David,

I am n the process of having my Healey engine rebuilt and had to deal with
the oil restrictors. First off your machine shop did the right thing by
removing the restrictors, it is the only the crank can be properly cleaned
and the restrictors can be checked, replaced and sized per OEM
specifications. The only source I could find for new restrictors is Dennis
Welch and they have them in two diameters, stock and oversized. I bought the
DW restrictors but in discussion with the machine shop we decided to tap the
crank oil journals and make screw in brass restrictors to avoid and peeling
of the brass or damage caused by pressing the DW OEM type and to avoid the
possibility of the restrictors moving as you have pointed out in your email.

This might sound a bit over the top but it really wasn't. It wasn't
difficult to tap the crank and the screw in restrictors were easily made.

Good luck... Harold