[Healeys] 100 Main Bearing Caps--Removal In Situ

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 11:22:51 MDT 2017

Looking at the exploded view of the bottom end of the 100 engine on page
D/224 of the service manual I see that there are two horizontal bolts that
fasten the front main cap into the block that are, I assume, accessible via
the timing cvhanin cover.

I do not see such hole(s) for the rear main cap. Are there any horizontal
bolts going through the rear plate into the rear main cap that would
require the removal of the engine or transmission for access to them?

Judging by the condition of the oil pump gears and end plate I do believe
that a lot of the lost oil pressure will be cured by replacing the pump. I
have not yet removed the front main cap but the center main shell and crank
journal were in pretty good shape with no discoloration, scoring, etc.

I'm certainly willing to replace the rod bearings and mains that I can
access with the engine/transmission in place but do not want to pull it or
the transmission if possible. I know that best practice would be to replace
all mains but if there are such bolts and I choose not to pull the engine
or transmission to access them I am making a big mistake by replacing only
the front and center mains?

Best--Michael Oritt