[Healeys] Pertronix question

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Nov 3 06:51:30 MDT 2017

Pertronics or similar is the way to go.
Easy to install, bolt on! It just replaces the points and you can do
away with the condenser. No need to change the plugs, wires or coil.
No need to dismantle the base plate for the points in the distributor.
However, make sure the bob weights under the baseplate are free to move,
the same for the vacuum advance/retard mechanism
Check that the overall impedance is in accordance with the instruction
manual of the electronic ignition. It usually should be 3 Ohms. If your
car has a ballast resistor (wire or block) in series with the coil make
sure you connect the electronic ignition over both the resistor and
coil. The coil and the resistor both have an impedance of ca. 1,5 Ohms,
so in series 3 Ohms. Failing to do so may result in a fried electronic
ignition.
Alternatively you can replace the coil plus resistor with a 12V coil
with an impedance of around 3 Ohms.
Disconnect the bypass wire for the resistor from the starter relay. The
electronic ignition has enough power to produce a decent spark during
starting.
You have to set the timing after fitting as it will be way out after the
conversion.

Nearly all problems with electronic ignition are because of not
connecting it up correctly, i.e. straight to the coil instead of over
coil AND resistor and leaving the bypass wire from the starter relay
connected, thus frying the ignition.

Kees Oudesluijs