[Healeys] codes

John Sims ahbn6 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 11 09:18:15 MST 2017

I can’t find the original layout but:

B stands for the engine size. A for the small engine in Sprites (less than 2000cc) and B for the engine in Healeys up to 3000 cc’s or so. Thus the AN, etc. for Sprites since they had a 900 or so cc engine.

N stands for two seater although it appeared on the BN4 which was a “occasional” four seater (if you had stubby legs you could fit)

T for four seater

J for true convertible with the top permanently fastened

L is for left hand drive

If there is an “O” it stands for equipped with overdrive but this was omitted on most cars as most had standard OD.

So, BN6 was a large engine two seater and the 6th model in the series. BJ8 was a large engine car with a permanent folding top and the 8th model in the series.

BJ9 is my Kia Sedona.

John Sims

Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com