[Healeys] Overdrive

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE YNOTINK at msn.com
Wed Jun 28 21:36:18 MDT 2017

I've heard of the overdrive failing to disengage due to the clutch lining sticking to the brake ring. I'm not sure why that would happen other than excessive wear on one or the other or possibly the use of the wrong lubricant. the solution as I recall was to tap the brake ring with a hammer from under the car. The danger is that you would not Know it had not disengaged and try to drive in reverse. If I were afraid this might be happening to my car I would engage the overdrive while it was running and then stop the engine and, placing it in reverse gear, try gently rocking the car backwards. If there's no resistance from the drivetrain you are golden. otherwise you need to pull the OD and find out what is causing the problem. The best protection is to come out of OD while you are still moving in a forward gear and to be constantly aware that the OD is actually disengaging as it should.

Bill Lawrence

BN1 #554