[Healeys] Generator pulley dimensions

Harold Manifold manifold at telus.net
Sun Jun 11 11:24:36 MDT 2017

Mark,

This may be more information about v-belt pulleys than you ever wanted to
know but my Healey engine is in pieces and the measurements are easy to get.
All this information is based on Healey 3000 29D series engine built in
approximately October 1960. The Mk2 engines were 29E series but as long as
your car was equipped with a Lucas C45 Dynamo the information should be the
same for both engines.

Driving pulley diameter (crankshaft) is 157mm.
Driven pulley diameter (Dynamo) is 99mm.

Speed of driven pulley = Engine RPM x 157 / 99. If the engine RPM is 2500
then the Dynamo RPM is 3,965

With the 110mm driven pulley if the engine RPM is 2500 then the Dynamo RPM
is 3,568.

The Dynamo will be 10% slower with the 110mm pulley but I suspect the real
issue is the Dynamo output at low engine RPM's. I don't have any information
on the size of the crankshaft pulley on the 100/6 but if it was the same
157mm pulley used on the 29D series and later engines then the switch to the
smaller 99mm pulley was to improve the output of the Dynamo at low engine
speeds. The only adverse effect will likely be your headlights will be
dimmer at low engine RPM.

I trust this helps.....Harold

  _____