[Healeys] Oil in oil/water temp gauge

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Jul 20 07:48:42 MDT 2017

I haven't seen oil inside my gauge, but I have seen the nut on the oil hard line on the back of the gauge loosen and allow drops of oil to hang on the bottom of the nut.  What alerted me to this was that the gauge oil pressure needle began to vibrate wildly.  When the nut loosened up, it allowed the air to bleed out of the line.  Air in the line is apparently necessary to dampen the pressure pulses in the system.  Unscrewing the nut completely, pulling the line out of the gauge, then replacing it solved the vibrating needle problem.

Check the security of the nut.  If you do have oil inside the gauge, you need to send it out.

There is little possibility of the gauge failing completely and the engine losing oil pressure.  The inner diameter of the flex hose from the engine to oil hard line, and the line itself, is very small.  It's enough to transmit pressure, but not much actual flow of oil.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large