[Healeys] Aluminum Radiators available

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Jul 20 02:25:09 MDT 2017

John,

You can only check by taking the pump of the car and look for
rust/cavitation holes in the body (snail) and rotor vanes.
The problem probably lies in you not driving the car enough, 13000 in 15
years is way to little, creating a multitude of problems like sticking
bob weights in the distributor, brake problems, all kinds of small items
getting stuck, corrosion of switches and connectors in the wiring,
degrading coolant, moisture in oil and brake fluid, engine wear,
degrading of suspension parts (multiple grease points, shocks) etc etc.
Oil in coolant is not good. A small amount showing as an oil film is OK
but when you see large blobs of  oil appear or thick mayonnaise action
is needed. Coolant in oil is an absolute NO-NO. It can be a leak in the
oil gallery or a crack in the cylinder head but in most cases it is a
head gasket. When the car is used so little the head gasket can corrode
quite badly.

Over heating at (some) speed can be caused by:
not enough coolant
sludge in engine and/or radiator
wrong or absent ducting around the radiator not directing enough air to
the radiator
calcifying of radiator effectively blocking it internally
radiator externally dirty or damaged small slats preventing air flow
through the radiator
wrong/faulty thermostat which does not block the radiator bypass when
engine warm
lean mixture of the carbs, vacuum leak
wrong ignition timing worsened by sticking bob weights (lack of
maintainance)
water pump not generating enough flow because of corrosion and/or
cavitation of the vane and snail
blown head gasket
partially blocked exhaust

In traffic jams, on steep roads: insufficient flow from the radiator fan

Kees Oudesluijs