[Healeys] Aluminum Radiators available

John O'Brien banjojohn at cox.net
Wed Jul 19 20:22:01 MDT 2017

Thanks Bob.

I just had my car to the shop before our trip and the timing was set to
the spec. 10 degrees BTDC.  I did have a problem one day in Waco where
the car was running rough, missing, and finally quit on me.  Finally
discovered the rotor molded-in key had sheered so the rotor was not
staying properly positioned on the shaft.  I had a spare rotor and
replaced it, and it ran fine again.  I will check the new rotor to make
sure it is okay, since that could obviously cause a timing issue.  The
car ran fine the next day after the overheating, the rest of the way
home, several hundred miles, but it was not as hot outside.  My mechanic
has new needles for the HD8s ordered, because it is running rich, but I
think a rich mixture would make it run cooler rather than hotter, if I
remember correctly from my private pilot days.

I'm hoping I don't have a bad head gasket again!  I've had it replaced
twice since I got the car.  The second time it was done at a fancy (read
expensive) Healey specialty shop near Sioux City IA, and he had the head
planed, checked the block for level, and put in new head studs, gasket,
etc.  For what it cost, I would hope it was done correctly.  The reason
it's been changed twice is because I was getting some oil in the
coolant.  I've had oil in the coolant still since the last time it was
changed, but I thought it might be residual oil that was trapped in the
block, heater core etc, from before the last gasket change, and so I
drained refilled with water and Dawn dish soap and ran it and then
rinsed, refilled, ran, rinsed etc. until I saw no more signs of oil -
several exchanges of coolant.   I hadn't seen oil in there after that,
but hadn't run the car much since then either.   I checked after this
trip and there is oil in the coolant again.  I was believing that I have
one of the blocks that seeps oil through the oil passage where it is
very close to the water jacket, but now I am not sure what to think.  I
never see any sign of coolant on the oil, and I would think that after
the car is shut off, the coolant would stay pressurized until the heat
dissipates, while the oil pressure would drop to nothing, so you'd think
coolant might find it's way into the oil through the same path the oil
gets to the coolant.

Possibly my cooling issue and the oil seepage share a common cause?

Thanks for the opinions and collective wisdom.

John

'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)

'61 Bugeye (Lucy)