[Healeys] Ethanol

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 11:40:00 MST 2017

I've been running mostly E10 in my BJ8 for many years as that is all that is (mostly) available in California, and I've been running it in our BN2 for the last few years/few hundred miles. There is only one anomaly that I attribute--no scientific evidence--to the ethanol: Some stumbling from the BJ8's engine for a few miles after a hot restart (possibly due to vaporization 'bubbles'). We put all new fuel lines in the BN2, but the BJ8 still has the original metal lines and the soft lines were replaced more than 20 years ago. The BJ8's carbs were rebuilt over 20 years ago, with the diaphragms with green 'bellows.' Both cars had their fuel tanks lined with Bill Hirsch gas tank sealant (the BJ8's many, many years ago).

If you want to minimize any potential problems:

1) replace rubber components that come in contact with E10
2) clean and seal your gas tanks
3) make sure your carb heat shields are in good nick
4) if your car won't be run for a while, top up the tank and consider one of the fuel treatments (I've never used any but, presumably, it couldn't hurt). If you are going to store your car for an extended period drain the tank and float bowls.

Bob