[Healeys] New steering worm gear

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:35:13 MST 2017

Hi Richard,

Yes the cam is held onto the column by the end being "swaged" over ...This
is how I get them off.
[image: Inline image 1]
There is  steel plug on the end of the puller's forcing screw that is about
0.020" larger than the hole in the column.
Looks like this when removed. The plug is still in place here.
[image: Inline image 2]
The triangular plate that the puller is pulling on (actually a home made
mini flywheel puller) has a hole in it about 0.050" larger than the column
itself.
Once the new cam is installed I just put 3 small TIG welds to replace the
swage. The swage is just to prevent someone pulling up on the steering
wheel and sliding the cam off the column.
Michael S