[Healeys] seat base foam

Austin Healeys List austinhealeyslist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:13:07 MST 2017

A few years back I fixed up the BN4 seat bases with repro polyurethane
foam inserts and after only 2000 miles they are disintegrating because
the 'D' hole in the reproduction wood frame is too big and offers no
support to the foam in the middle of the seat. As a result the foam
has split around the edges of the D and the centre section that is
unsupported is breaking free from the rest. The foam was originally so
firm it was uncomfortable so I did the holesaw trick to reduce its
stiffness but this appears to have contributed to the disintegration.

Is this a common issue? What are others doing?

Attached are a couple of pics, one from an unrestored BN4 showing a
much smaller D hole, the other is of the repro part. I'm thinking of
remaking the base with the smaller D hole to try and stop the
prolapse.

Andy.