[Healeys] BN6 Overdrive

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Jan 4 08:46:36 MST 2017

Mike, what I mentioned to Neil is that both times I have had problems with my overdrive failing to engage, or engaging sluggishly, the problem was the accumulator.  The first time it would engage when cold, but not when hot.  The accumulator walls were severely gouged, probably from too much debris in the oil from not having been changed frequently enough before I got the car.  I found no other problems.  I concluded that the massive leakage prevented the accumulator piston from moving back far enough against the spring to direct the oil to the metering pin.

The second time, the overdrive was slow to engage, felt like it was slipping, and would make a whirring noise as it tried to do so.  I put a gauge on the O/D and went for a drive.  I was reading 350 psi before the O/D switch was flipped, dropping to 100 psi at it tried to engage and back up to 350 - 365 psi after engagement.  I found a broken accumulator piston ring and a loose ring in the bottom of the accumulator bore.  After correcting that (and a broken thrust washer behind the planetaries), I read 450 psi before flipping the O/D switch and 250 psi as it engaged.  I neglected to record the recovery pressure.  This was done on a test rig and I did not repeat the test on the road since the O/D worked perfectly after reinstallation in the car.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large