[Healeys] Smith Gauges - Sceliphrons Love Them!

Corning, Dan (D.C.) dcorning at ford.com
Sat Feb 18 13:22:45 MST 2017

I wanted to clean my speedometer before installing it in the dash.  Removing the bezel and glass, I carefully wiped the face of the gauge and noticed the needle was stuck.  Thinking I'll have to send it somewhere and get it fixed anyway, I decided to disassemble it the rest of the way to look inside.  I wasn't expecting to find what I saw!

Mud daubers had found a cozy home inside the housing while in storage on my garage shelf.  I carefully removed the all the hardened mud bit by bit, freed the needle and amazingly, it works (using a drill on the speedo cable).  I took the photo after cleaning the speedo but before working on the tachometer.  If they both work properly in the car I'll be Smiths biggest fan!

Best,

Dan Corning
(615) 579-1032