[Healeys] Off comes the head...Update

Larry Wendland bighealey3k at aim.com
Sat Feb 11 09:09:51 MST 2017

Sludge comes in bags now?

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net>
To: Bruce Steele <healeybruce at roadrunner.com>; 'Healey List' <healeys at autox.team.net>
Sent: Sat, Feb 11, 2017 6:37 am
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Off comes the head...Update

Begs the question: How did the 'bag full of sludge' get into the      water jacket?

Bob

On 2/10/2017 4:02 PM, Bruce Steele      wrote:

So, the machine shop has gone through            my block and low and behold, oil is not seeping from the            transverse oil gallery into the water jacket.  They            pressurized the oil gallery to 70 PSI and it help pressure;            nothing bleed into the water jacket.  Rather, the shop            cooked out a bag full of sludge from the water jacket in the            back of the block.  Apparently, the regular hot tank dipping            before didn’t dislodge all this gunk, and the circulating            coolant would dissolve just enough to foul the coolant with            the oily mess that sure looked like fresh motor oil mixing            with the coolant.  Fooled me, for sure.  For good measure,            we will coat the water jacket with some epoxy, then rebuild            the motor with Denis Welch pistons, street cam, bucket            lifters, hollow push rods and fly wheel.  I am excited to            experience how it will run with the new DW parts to go with            my DW oil pump I installed years ago.

Bruce Steele

Brea, CA

1960 BN7