[Healeys] Static Timing a Pertronix Ignitor

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 00:21:06 MST 2017

We’re talking about an Ignitor ie NOT an Ignitor II. In a positive earth
BJ8.

The timing may be all to hell. I’m in the UK; the car’s in Paris.

Let’s say that the clamp bolts “may somehow have got loosened” during the
initially successful swap from points to Ignitor the other day.

(Yes, it’s an old Ignitor but it was NOS, boxed and unused, in the boot when
the car was delivered.)

Now, I’ve been looking at my accumulated notes on Static Timing etc with a
view that we may have to go down that track, if it proves that we have air,
fuel and spark but not necessarily in the right order!

I’ve accumulated a lot of info over the years which is primarily a Good
Thing, but sometimes I find conflicting information.

For example, one source says that the Ignitor II cannot be static timed.
Another source implies that all EI’s, including Ignitor IIs, can be timed by
putting a multimeter across the coil’s primary connections.

Another one says:- “To begin the timing exercise you must statically time
the engine at around 10 degrees BTDC. With the engine at 10 degrees BTDC on
the firing stroke align the distributor so that the points are just about to
open or in the case of an electronic distributor so that the stator and
rotor tips are just aligning. Lock the distributor enough to stop it moving.
Ensure that the vacuum advance retard is disconnected and the tube plugged.
Start the engine and let it idle, adjust the timing with the engine running
to 10 degrees BTDC and lock the distributor.”

(Ignore the 10° advice.) With reference to an Ignitor
..does this apply? And
what is the “stator”? I can “assume” that it’s the little curved black box
of tricks? Does this or could this apply to the Pertronix? Seems a bit
inaccurate

one would have assume that the critical alignment point in the
“stator” was prec.isely in the centre of the inside of the curve??..... I
suppose one could try the voltmeter across the coil method and see where the
rotor was in relation to the “stator”?? Any thoughts??? (A lot of “assumes”
in the last paragraph)

Has anyone any tips on static timing an Ignitor? I’ve timed them, but never
had to go back to Stage One ie I’ve used a timing light and made adjustments
to a running engine rather than go back to basics where the timing is
completely out and the engine won’t fire at all.

Any help would be much appreciated and doubly so in Paris!

Simon