[Healeys] BJ8 Top Boot Installation

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Aug 29 13:16:48 MDT 2017

1.  Find the centerline of the car  (With the top up and latched, I ran a string from the center of the front bumper, over the top, and back to the center of the rear bumper.  Make sure the string is straight and crosses the center of the nose badge and lines up with the boot lid handle.

2.  Mark the center of the car on the rear shroud just above the boot lid with colored chalk.

3.  Find the centerline of the new boot cover by folding it exactly in half (vinyl side out) and marking the centerline with chalk.

4.  Rub chalk on the tip of the Lift-the-Dot fastener studs (best to do this one fastener at a time).

5.  Line up the new boot cover with the centerline of the car, using the marks previously made.

6.  By positioning the boot cover over a fastener stud and pressing down on it, the chalk should transfer from the stud to the fabric of the boot cover.  This is the position of the hole for the Lift-the-Dot receptacle.  Do the ones at the rear and work your way forward, using the same technique with the chalk and alternating side-to-side.  All the fasteners necessary for the cover can be located using the chalk technique.  Make sure the cover is straight and smooth after each fastener is done.

7.  Sit back and admire your handiwork!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry