[Healeys] Splined hub bearings

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 25 20:39:53 MDT 2017

It is so long since I replaced those I can’t recall how I did it, but I have more recently installed interference fit bearings in a number of old motorbike engine cases.  I simply put the bearing in the freezer for an hour or two and warm the cases, preferably in the oven, but you can do it gently with a propane torch.  The bearing (or outer race in your case) will drop right in.  Get it seated quickly though, as the temperatures equalize quickly.   For some applications I have also had a local machinist reduce the diameter of an old bearing slightly to use to tap home tight bearings.  I prefer the heating/cooling as it takes any hammering out of the operation.  Getting the inside of the hub and  the outside of the bearing scrupulously clean goes without question.

Mirek