[Healeys] Carb Adjustment Help Requested - BJ8 MkIII

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 10:18:14 MDT 2017

I just tore down a BJ8 engine with about 110K miles since rebuild.  I
always ran at 15deg per the manual and there was no damage to any of the
pistons or rings (see attached).  Of course, I always ran 91-octane or
better gas (except on a couple occasions when it wasn't available).  I
never heard any knock, but my co-pilot on my long trips said he did when
I inadvertently lugged the engine a couple times.

Somebody did a 'study' on why the BJ8 engine needed so much initial
advance, I believe the theory is that the plugs are set further recessed
in the plug than the earlier engines.

Bob