[Healeys] Wheel Spinners

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 9 20:44:52 MDT 2017

Hmm,  I was taught (as a young apprentice with British Leyland in the late 70s), to beat the daylights out of them until they are really tight.  I spin the wheel as I go so I am not hitting on the same “ear” of the knock-off.  I have done that religiously for the 43 years I have owned my BT7 and never had an issue.  When I worked in a garage that specialized in English sports cars, we used to occasionally get cars in that the owner said needed u-joints because there was a knock when braking or accelerating,  It sometimes turned out to be the wheels and a few good cracks with ‘ole Thor corrected the problem.

That said I have only seen a wire wheel come off once because the knock-off unscrewed.  It was a TR3 that an uninformed tow truck driver had picked up from the back and towed “backwards”.  Knock-offs undid themselves.  I still think that it would not have happened if  they were good and tight.

Mirek