[Healeys] Bj8 octane

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 30 19:01:37 MDT 2017

(Dormant) private/commercial pilot here.  110 octane hasn't been available since before I started flying almost 30 years ago (too much TEL).  Best you can get is 100LL ('LL' stands for low lead, which is a misnomer because I believe it's only maybe 30% less TEL than 110).   It's blue in color:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avgas

It'll be phased out over the next decade or so.  Even rarer is 80-octane avgas, which older, lower-compression engines prefer--still has TEL, though--but many of them can run premium auto gas.   100/130 is available, supposedly, in a few places but I've never seen it offered.

I haven't checked the compression on my BJ8's rebuilt engine, but it should be a bit higher than nominal, and so far it seems to run fine on 'premium' (91-octane here in CA).

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA