[Healeys] Spring - BJ8 Gearbox

Mark Donaldson ardmorebusiness at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 25 23:49:02 MDT 2017

Jean,

As Bob said, it can be a bit of a pain to install.  I've done several in
recent years and I usually 'chase' around the top of the spring with a
wide-blade screwdriver, and repeated light taps from a hammer, until it is
snug inside.  If your retainer spring is a new after-market one and a bit
oversize could you perhaps nip it up a little to a slightly smaller diameter
with a bit of gentle persuasion in a vice?

And, as Bob also mentioned, a third hand is most useful in this job to make
sure the spring doesn't do it's 'jack-in-a-box' thing when it is ALMOST in
place.

Mark

Ardmore, NZ

  _____