[Healeys] Front Hub Runout

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Apr 19 07:34:43 MDT 2017

A few years ago I bought two new splined hubs ($175 each) from Gary Hemphill
at Healey Haven.  After installation of the hubs, the right front wheel
developed a chirp that was coming from brake rotor wobble intermittently
picking up a brake pad and dropping it as it rotated.  I had the rotor
turned, but the rotor wobble remained and was only cured when I installed
the original hub with the same bearings.  Hemphill inadvertently cc'd me on
an e-mail to a supplier and admitted that he had another hub on his desk
with the same problem.  That supplier told me later that he had not sold the
hub to Hemphill.
Hemphill refused to accept responsibility for the bad hub and never did
reimburse me or replace it, he just went out of business.  Good riddance.

Some of those hubs may still be around, and that might be your problem.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
AHCA Delegate at Large