[Healeys] BJ-8 fuel sending unit - changed?

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Apr 16 17:00:23 MDT 2017

Elton, Rich Chrysler was the expert in all things Austin-Healey and we miss
him very much, while all I claim to know about is BJ8s, which is what the
original question referred to.  As I said, my original sending unit and
another original unit that I have, plus two replacements from Moss Motors
ALL had the terminal and float arm on the same side (toward the front of the
car).

The BJ7/BJ8 Mechanical Service Parts List shows one pictorial of the sending
unit and lets it apply to both BJ7 and BJ8; but the part number listing
shows two different part numbers for the sending unit:  1B2736 for BJ7 and
BHA4435 for BJ8.  Detailed differences are shown only by part numbers, which
aren't useful without the drawings that go with them.  The pictorial is a
left 3/4 view that has the float arm toward the front of the car in relation
to the fuel tank.  No terminal is shown, but that may be because in that
view the terminal is to the rear and behind the  body of the unit.  I have
an original fuel tank from a BJ7 with the sending unit still installed.  It
is in storage and the screws are hard to get at so I can't determine whether
the float is toward the front (as it should be, in the deepest part of the
tank), but the terminal is toward the rear.   Perhaps Rich was responding
specifically about the orientation of BJ7 units, but to my knowledge all BJ8
units are supposed to have the float arm and terminal on the same (front)
side.  Anyway, it doesn't matter as long as the float goes into the well in
the front of the tank.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry