[Healeys] Re-chroming a grill

A H List austinhealeyslist at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 15:57:40 MDT 2017

I tried rechroming a BN4 grille and $2000 later gave up, instead went
with a used original.

You have to fully disassemble it (assuming yours is a Mk1 with wavy
grille) and this means taking out the dozens of small copper rivets.
Once apart, the grill slats are brass and were originally
nickel/chromed straight onto the brass. The problem for me started
when the chrome shop wanted to put copper on over the brass and it
grew a green oxide bloom within a couple of months of being installed
which looked rather tatty. The second issue is that the chrome shop
insisted on panel beating every last imperfection out of it and this
meant a lot of filing and sanding so the end result was very "hotrod"
with everything rounded and smooth which IMO looked ugly.

The reproduction ones don't seem to be very original looking, although
I have only seen low-res pics (attached).

Andy.