[Healeys] Hi oil pressure - now resolved

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Wed Apr 5 19:49:01 MDT 2017

Thanks to all for great ideas and interest.
Problem now resolved after removing oil pan again .... pains !
Issue was that the new rubber/silicon gasket did not have the small cut out for the return oil from the relief valve.
This is not very obvious and even experienced AH people were not aware of this hole in the block; the oil escapes in a gap in the gasket between the 2 flanges.
So this oil could not escape back into the pan and hence the pressure built up.
Supplier was most apologetic as evidently this one shipped before making this cut out ... grrr !!
What was also confusing was that 80 plus psi pressure only happened when the oil was warm (20 mins running) and that is why I didn’t notice it at first.
Fortunately I had taken a pix of the bad rubber one before installing and so was able to compare it to a regular cork one that I had.
So for interest here are a few pix of the gaskets and hopefully won’t happen to anyone else.
Tkx
rg