[Healeys] car dies at idle

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 14:19:28 MDT 2016

On the original subject: our BN2 does that as well. After I blip the throttle the idle stabilizes; I think with a manifold leak the idle would drop again, but it doesn't. I think this could be due to:

1) on a warm day, especially, the cylinders 'load up' with unburned fuel and start running too rich
2) letting the throttles 'slam shut' causes the idle to 'overshoot' to the downside. This is why some cars have 'dashpots' to cushion the lever that operates the throttle(s) when you lift off the gas pedal (I've known cars that would stall if the dashpot wasn't functioning)
3) idle may be set a tad low to begin with (though, at first, our car seemed to have the 'HD disease;' i.e. the 'choke' springs weren't strong enough to return to normal idle, causing high idle)

Anyone got any other causes/solutions?

Bob

Subject: [Healeys] car dies at idle

Now that I seem to have sorted the ignition issue I have another problem. After driving the car for a while and I stop at a light, my car begins to drop rpms and will then die if I do not blip the gas. Rebuilt carb, and distributor, new plugs and ignition bits. Could a manifold leak cause this? 3 AM thoughts on the problem. I'm going to try the brake fluid spray on the manifold trick to see if the engine changes sounds while idling.
Cheers
Ira Erbs
Portland,OR
BT7 engine and disk brakes
Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari
Please excuse random auto corrects and misspelled words