[Healeys] PCV Valve

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Sep 19 19:22:43 MDT 2016

Got the engine out and the head off my BJ8 a couple weeks ago. Was
anxious to see if the PCV valve I'd installed--the 'Nock' kit--had
caused a gunk buildup like occurs in modern cars with PCVs, and was
pleasantly surprised to find no buildup whatsoever on either the intake
manifold or the head intake ports.  I attribute this to the 'kit;' in
that it isn't a true PCV installation because it doesn't pull fresh,
filtered air into the sump to be vented to the intake manifold like the
modern installations do.  The kit pretty much seals up the sump, and the
only 'fresh' air that gets in comes through the rear main seal, which
had cut my oil loss in half (you can feel a vacuum if you put your hand
over the oil filler hole at idle).  I think I installed the kit 8-10
years ago, so there was 40-50K of mileage with the valve.

Photo of uncleaned intake manifold attached; the brass fitting on the
left is the inlet port for the PCV.  Also, photo of release 'bearing'
with approx. 110K miles.

Cheers,

Bob